College Lawn Services has been a professional lawn mowing service in Dubuque County for over 30 years. We help those looking for a lawn mowing service near me. Today we would love to give you some lawn mowing professional tips to help you keep a greener and healthier lawn. More importantly we are going to tell you about some hazards to watch out for.
Remember in the end of the day we are here to help you, and If you are interested in asking us to do your lawn maintenance or snow removal services..we are eager to earn your business. Remember, we are all friends & neighbors here in Dubuque. Don’t be afraid to call, or hit us up for any and all of your lawn or snow removal questions.
Lawn Mower Tips
- Always follow your lawn mower manufacturer’s operating, upkeep and also safety guidelines, consisting of guidelines on security equipment.
- Learn exactly how to operate your lawn mower prior to you require to the yard, specifically if you have actually bought a zero-turn distance (ZTR) lawnmower.
- Clear debris from the location you’ll be mowing.
- Keep kids, pets and also others away from the mowing location.
- Do not remove or change discharge chutes or alter any other security accessories on your lawnmower.
- Use suitable clothes and also footwear. Wear eye protection and, hearing protection as well as any other security gear defined by the maker. If you are going to listen to music or news with headphones please be extra cautious and we don’t recommend it.
- Protect yourself from the summertime heat while functioning outdoors.
- Do not refuel a warm engine. If absolutely necessary make sure you have a funnel that is very stable.
- Keep hands and feet away from machinery that may cause a problem due to heat or cutting.
- Trimming on inclines presents specific obstacles. Follow your certain mower manufacturer’s guidelines for mowing on slopes.
- If you utilize a riding lawn mower, do not carry passengers.
- If your mower is outfitted with a key, remove it when the mower isn’t in use.
- Mower maintenance will extend the life of your mowing equipments and generate a better-looking grass. Follow the producer’s guidelines for appropriate care. Lawn Mower owners should be familiar with winterizing and performing pre-season check-ups prior to and after mowing season.
Lawn Mowing Height Recommendations
These are standard standards for cutting heights. Keep weather conditions (warmth, cold, dry spell) in mind whenever you mow.
- Mowing Height for Specific Grass Types:Bentgrass: 1/2 to 1 inchFescue: 2 to 3 inches
- Kentucky Bluegrass: 2 to 2-1/2 inches
- Seasonal Ryegrass: 2 to 3 inches
- Mowing Height for Warm-Season Grasses
- Bahia: 2 to 2-1/2 inches
- Bermuda: 1-1/2 to 2 inches
Grass Mowing General Tips
Using your lawnmower correctly enhances the density of the grass in your yard, and in turn lowers weeds. Discover out which kind of lawn is in your yard (you might have more than one) and just how to trim “her” to an appropriate height.
- Stay with the 1/3 rule: Never get rid of more than 1/3 of your grasses length when you trim. A healthy yard can endure a periodic close cut. Nonetheless, routine close mowing generates a brownish lawn and has numerous harmful side effects
- Injury to the crown of your lawn can be seriously detrimental to the health of your lawn. Your “crown” is where brand-new growth begins and also nutrients are saved in the blade. By reducing this area of the blade, reduces the ability of the blade of grass to produce food via photosynthesis. Also this damage can increase vulnerability to parasites and also the likelihood of sunlight reaching weed seeds, allowing them to sprout.
- Danger of soil compaction
- Trim when the lawn is completely dry. Dry blades will tend to be more upright and also not trampled or stuck together.
- Avoid cutting in the warmth of the day to avoid warm tension on your lawn and also yourself.
- Keep lawn mower blades sharp and also balanced. Rough cuts made by blades raise the possibilities of disease and bugs.
- Adjust the trimming pattern each time you mow. Your lawn will develop a tendency of leaning towards a certain direction from mowing. Alternating your mowing pattern will encourage upright growth as well as decrease the number of ruts in your grass.
- Always try to Mow moving forward.
- Make sure your trimmings (unless you bag them) are shot in the direction of the already cut grass. You never want to go over already cut grass.
- Leave lawn cuttings on the lawn when you cut the yard unless they form clumps or rows. Grasscycling returns nutrients and nitrogen to the lawn.
- Consider utilizing a mulching lawnmower or mulching kit on your present mower.
- If you bag your cuttings, consider composting them with a composter.
- Mow your lawn higher in shaded locations, like under trees. In these areas, your lawn competes with tree nutrients and water. It is harder for your grass to grow by these large trees.
- Reduce mowing frequency and raise the mowing height in you are in a cool-season but the temperature is hot or above normal. Cool season grass when hot/dry will have decrease growth rate.
- Follow the appropriate lawn plant food and fertilizing schedule for your type of yard.
How to Mow a New Lawn
Recently seeded turf requires 3 to four weeks to obtain established after germination before first mow. The lawn blades could easily be harmed, and also the weight of the mower can compact the soil, specifically if it’s wet. Cut when the new turf is 3/4 inch to 1 inch taller than its advised for routine mowing for your type of grass.
Before doing any type of upkeep, cleansing or inspections on your lawnmower:
- Turn it off as well as remove the ignition/safety secret (if outfitted).
- On a gasoline-powered lawn mower, disconnect the ignition system cord(s) as advised in the handbook. If you have an electric lawn mower, disconnect it from its power supply.
- Comply and be familiar with any type of pre-maintenance procedures the manufacturer defines.